Monday, May 25, 2009

Journal Entries

Day 1: Friday

I had a fascinating day, and I feel as though I am nearly ready to start my higher education. I am currently taking Microbiology, level two Calculus, Advanced Literary Analysis, level four German, Government and Politics, and Advanced Western studies, and today I had Microbiology at 8:00, ALA at 11:00, and Calculus at 2:30. My roommate, Jean, woke me up at 7:30, and I was served gourmet crepes with fruit for breakfast, courtesy of the Advanced Culinary students. In microbiology we studied the effects of using alternate restriction enzymes when inserting the same nucleotide section into a bacterial plasmid. It was interesting, but the two other students in my program are thinking of becoming specialized in genetic studies next year, so they seemed to enjoy it more than I did. In ALA we held a critical discussion of Natasha’s transformation in War and Peace, and I got into a deep argument with one of the students in the program, Carl, which I felt I won by employing specific evidence from Part II of the book. Calculus was difficult today, and I believe that level two is as far as I will go with my mathematics education, for I am sure now that I am not cut out for a math specialization. During Exercise Period I played in a competitive game of lacrosse, and even scored two goals. Dinner today was delicious, grilled chicken sandwiches with a large serving of grilled vegetables and chocolate ice cream for dessert, but I did not enjoy the movie we watched during dinner as much as the one yesterday. I am tired from my productive day, and I am going home for the weekend tomorrow morning, so I think I will go to sleep now.


Day 2: Saturday

The new solar-powered hybrid jet was faster than the old biofuels one, but it seemed like the compartment was smaller. When I got home at nine, my mother was gone completing her work as a water conversationalist, I believe she is currently investigating the recent increase in salinity of the Gulf of Mexico, so she has been working six days a week, but my father was taking a rest day. He is a road builder, not being the scholastic type, he went on to physical training instead of higher education after finishing his core education, and told me about the underground monorail he was currently working on. He gets very excited about his job. After I finally got him to stop talking, I walked to the residence building of my friend Dan, and we decided to go out to lunch then go to the beach. We went to a newly opened Japanese restaurant, where I got the best California rolls I have ever eaten! The beach was pretty crowded when we got there, so while we waited for the next crowd rotation we took a walk along the boardwalk, stopping to get some gelato on the way. The beach was beautiful, but I definitely need a new bathing suit; mine is so last year. When I got home my mother had just arrived, and she was excitedly detailing the decrease in ocean salt levels due to some new program her team was implementing. I took a small nap while she was talking. For dinner my dad made vegetarian stir fry with rice, which we tend to have a lot. I talked on the phone for two hours with my friend Natalie, who just broke up with her boyfriend because he didn’t respect her decision to specialize in cosmetology. I never did like him. I mentioned the bathing suit emergency and the lack of food in our residence block to my mother, and she said since she didn’t make it to the street market Wednesday, we could go tomorrow. I can’t wait to sleep in late.

Day 3: Sunday

Today I woke up at eleven to my mom scowling at me impatiently. Since the fresh market was only going to be running for two more hours, we left right away, after stopping to talk to a higher-ed student that lives in my residence building. He is really interesting, and is specializing in philosophy, which my core education program covered two years ago. I liked it okay, but haven’t requested a similar class since. When we got to the market, my mom began to run efficiently through the neat arrangement of stands holding fresh organic fruits, vegetables, and grains, asking for a 3P household amount of what she wanted from each stand. I walked in the other direction, meeting up with Natalie, who helped me find a cute new bikini, its red, while texting her old boyfriend the whole time. She had better not take him back. We went to the movies later on, I saw the new Star Trek movie, and got back at ten, just in time to catch the last jet back to school. I forgot to say goodbye to my parents, so I sent them both a text message, then read the new book I had traded for at the market until I got to school. I have German at like nine tomorrow, so I am going to try to get some sleep if Jean will ever turn down that new Coldplay CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment